
Growing up I'd freak out if my brothers sat on my bed, because they'd mess it up. I was meticulate about it staying perfect, even if I was going to bed soon. I tried to be good, and had high expectations at being perfect. To this day my brothers still tease me that I was a little obsessive. My little brother told me recently that when we were teenagers he had come to my room one night with intentions of letting out some of what was going on in his life. When I freaked as he got on my bed it stopped him that night from feeling comfortable enough to share what was going. My desire for perfection prevented closeness and security for him on this and probably other occasions.
So this and another story my mother has told me lead me to these contemplations. In what ways are we to seek perfection? And what kinds of perfection lead us to be more Christ-like? And what ways of trying to be perfect prevent healthy Christian lives?
The other story: My mom was in a club in college that had regular meetings and would invite guest speakers. For some reason, the group invited a handful of women from a mental institution to come and speak to their club. These women were good people, they just struggled to function in society. The only thing my mom remembers from the meeting is that all the women said their mothers were perfectionists, and they felt they could not do anything well enough to please their mothers. They each felt that was what contributed to them not being capable of doing anything right or becoming successful. Nothing was ever good enough.
But I've been taught to "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father." (Matt 5:48)
So, I came across a statement that gives me clarification, and a direction for my perfectionists drive.
Elder Dean L. Larsen said:
Some of us created such a complexity of expectations for ourselves, that it is difficult to cope with the magnitude of them. Sometimes we establish so many particulars by which to evaluate and rate ourselves that it becomes difficult for us to feel successful and worthy to any degree at any time. We can drive ourselves unmercifully toward perfection on such a broad plane. When this compulsion is intensified by sources outside ourselves, the problem is compounded. Confronting these demands can bring mental and emotional despair.
Everyone needs to feel successful and worthy in some ways at least part of the time. The recognition of our frailties need not propel us to try to achieve perfection in one dramatic commitment of effort. The best progress sometimes comes when we are not under intense duress. Over zealousness is at least as much to be feared as apathy. Trying to measure up to too many particular expectations without some sense of self-tolerance can cause spiritual and emotional "burn-out". . .
("The Peaceable Things of the Kingdom," New Era, Feb 1986, p. 6)
My thought is that there is a definite difference between doing things perfect and becoming perfect. I just am trying to decipher where the difference lies. Another scripture I just found gives me direction.
1 Kings 8:61
Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
Does this strike a chord with you or resonate in your heart or do you see it a little differently or have these kinds of things ever crossed your mind? I'm interested to know.
4 comments:
Deb,
I took a peek at your blog and your boys are so fun! It looks like you are happy. Sherri has mentioned how you are a time or two and I am glad that you live close enough to stay in touch still... I miss my Boise crowd! We are great in ID, and the way I know the Zauggs=Mike's sister married Doug Z. Stop by on the blog often, Maren
Debbie, I so miss you. I can't even tell you how I came across your blog. I am SOOOOO Happy that I did. I hope to hear from you soon. Love you!
I was looking at one of my friends blogs and clicked on someones that she had on her blog that we went to high school with and they had a I believe chad and Amy and I clicked on that one just for fun and then I saw yours Jake and Debbie and I thought what the heck and then there you were.
Oh, what a good point, definitly something to ponder on! Thanks for sharing such a great "food for thought!' That's one of the things I love about you!
Post a Comment