I'm so excited to have a new dinner idea for the family that we all love. My friend Tiffany shared her home made egg rolls while I was at her house and they were so delicious that I wanted to try it out.
Then, later, my friend Arianne was hanging out with me and she asked me what was for dinner and she said she'd help me take on these egg rolls for my first time!
They were a hit and both husbands said this recipe was a keeper.
Here's the thing. They weren't that hard. If you've made chicken enchilada's you can definitely tackle this one!
Egg Rolls
16 egg roll skins
1 recipe pork filling
Cooking oil for deep fat frying
Bottled sweet-and-sour sauce or
chinese style hot mustard
Pork Filling:
Saute
1 pound ground pork
2 tsp. grated gingerroot
2 clove garlic, minced.
Drain fat when no longer pink
Add:
1 cup finely chopped bok choy or cabbage
1 cup chopped water chestnuts
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
Stir Fry 2 minutes more.
Combine in bowl:
2 T. soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
1/2 salt
Add to skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute; cool slightly.
Instructions for wrapping should be on the wrap package. If not, use 1/4 cup of filling across and just below center of egg roll skin. Fold bottom corner over filling, tucking it under on th the other side. Fold side corners over filling, forming an envelope shape. Roll egg roll toward remaining corner. Moisten top corner with water; press firmly to seal.
In a heavy saucepan or deep-fat fryer heat 2 inches of oil to 365' Fry egg rolls a few at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or til golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Keep warm in a 300' oven while frying remainder. Serve warm with sauce.
I think the pork and wraps were the cheapest at Walmart by almost a dollar. But I buy gingerroot at HEB/Winco.
I'd love to hear if you try this. Later we made just veggie ones with lottsa extra cabbage, bean sprouts, chestnuts and carrots. We used dried ginger and Tony Chachery's Cajun seasoning, too.
So delicious!
4 comments:
Yummy! I also read your posts and I'm so glad that you don't have swine flu and that you're not flooded in! Geez, what a week you had. Good to see your cute face. Wish it were here with us in Nampa. Miss you!
BTW, we still have the co-op going, and it's awesome! Have you started one yet in Houston?
Mmmm...I haven't eaten dinner yet (I know, it's 10:00 pm, but I have been busy)! Too bad I'm deathly afraid of hot oil. I won't deep fry anything - it scares the living tar out of me.
I am going to give these a try soon . They were a hit at the pot luck!
Hey next time make summer rolls (the non-fried kind) as well so I my wife can bring some of those home too!!
Ben Peeler
Post a Comment