Monday, June 8, 2009

Deep Thoughts...not really.

I feel very detached to this whole blogging thing. Sure I've posted here and there, but my typical self shares a whole lot more than just "egg-rolls". Because I haven't been sharing my DEEP THOUGHTS I feel disconnected in some way. But from whom am I detached? You, I suppose...aren't you the one reading this.
But at the same time, my thoughts have been so deep, sometimes profound - at least for me it is, very personal and real all at once that I don't even know how to take on any one single topic. Any time in life when I've made major changes I do a lot of reflecting and learning through metaphors. Here's a few of them.
For example: like coming to this earth for a body and life experiences (me moving away from my family).
We have no recollection of our former life. (I can see one benefit of no recollection...no homesickness and missing our loved ones there. Also, I'm wishing I didn't have a memory of all the things I miss about home.

Okay, so I live between two nice African-american families, I'm one of two white women on my block. My son was the only caucasian boy in his class. I've always wondered what it felt like for African-americans, especially in places like my hometown to always stand out where they are...there were so few if any that I can remember. (sorry, maybe this is such a taboo topic I really don't know...but its in my head and this is my blog, and yadah yadah)
Last Wednesday I found out for myself. Every mom from Jabrens class at the kindergarten graduation knew who I was and remembered me and said hello excitedly saying "Hi, how are you?" like they knew me.
My confused face would render the next comment... "You're Jabrens mom, remember me."
Now most of my life I've always been the one reminding people of how I know them and that we do know each other. Then I wait for the "aha" moment when they get it. Never, really almost, never does this happen the other way around. And these moms are the nicest, most genuine, and happy people. They radiate and are so warm. I love it.
Well thats a glimpse of what it feels like to be a minority...no matter what the minority is. Everyone notices you and knows you. I didn't realize that I was the minority that for them they could so easily spot out in a crowd. I like seeing how the "other shoe" fits.
Another thought is how much one appreciates what they have when they're away from it.
Familiarity and family...miss it. And yet, experiences totally new things is so rejuvinating. We have a really fun pot luck group and all these LDS girls, from here, are talking in foreign language. At least for me it might as well be. They were talking about food and restaurants using terminology and food reference I've never heard of.

At the same time. I'm learning to cook new things and try flavors in cooking I never would have come to on my own. Love the flavors used in southern cooking. Creole seasoning, deep fat frying, I can't even think of how many times I've had a pecan something-bread, pie, on top of stuff. Then there's these crawfish boils. Haven't been to one yet, only invited, but couldn't go. Its a southern tradition. Everyone knows about them, I guess. They boil huge batches of crawfish with a lot of southern seasonings, then you eat them. There's a lot more to it, I think, but its tradition. Its fun to know there's been these traditions going on for years and years and I've never even heard of them. I love learning new cultural ways. I'm loving the new dishes and spices I'm getting comfortable with making.
Then there's the people in my life. I've made really good friends with people I can't imagine not knowing.
This is a tanget, maybe, but when I was a freshman in highs school my parents took in a 16 year boy from the Republic of Georgia as an exchange student.
Dave Uznadze was just like my brother and sometimes I would just try to wrap my mind around the idea that I would have no clue about him, his life, his family, his culture, if he hadn't come to our home. He had spent 16 years growing up half way around the world, at the same time as me. I know, duh. But, I liked that I had the privilege of being a personal part of his life-his sister, really.
So thats one of my other deep thoughts: how could I live my whole life and not know so many people from all walks of life? Wouldn't I love to experience all that life and people have to offer? Yes, I wanted this.
With all the challenges of emotionally readjusting to a new neighborhood, a house that doesn't feel like home, like home did in our little house in Nampa; not having family close: we've been blessed with wonderful friends that are becoming our new family, we're making friends with neighbors that I couldn't imagine that the Lord didn't play part in our friendship.
Everything has a reason, a season, and is a blessing to experience.
Sometimes I wonder why I was so willing to walk into all these challenges and new life changing experiences away from what I know and is comfortable. There are moments when I think "Oh, my goodness, I was so niave and so innocent to happily want to try this. WHAT WA I THINKING!"
Last week at book club I had a window into why?
Its a post all on its own. Read Deep Thoughts to come.

13 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That was very interesting to read. I liked what you said about being a minority.

By the way - I don't usually share deep thoughts on my blog - it is usually clap trap about my kids. :) I also liked the egg rolls post - I LOVE egg rolls and want to try this.

lemontree said...

Thanks, Debbie. I love to hear your rambling once in a while. It came to me while reading that you're experiencing your own "mission" now. And you get to do it with your own little family. What a great experience for you!

Shel said...

Debbie, you're Awesome...Egg Rolls or Deep Thoughts... I love them both! I'm so grateful you and you're sweet family are here.

Love ya'!

Andrea said...

Thank goodness for that naivete, which I think is actually just the Lord granting us peace that things will be o.k. (because they WILL, but if we knew what we were getting into, we'd never do it on our own), which helps us know we are making the right decision, even if it's not the easy decision.

AND I am so jealous of all the Southern cooking and Southern hospitality. My husband's family is from the South, so we spent a month there on our honeymoon. I miss it!

Kerri said...

Can't wait to read more. So interesting to be thrown into another world, isn't it? I'm glad to read everything you have to say about it...

Angela said...

This is the Debbie I miss! I miss sitting on your driveway and watching the kids and talking and thinking out loud with you. I love your deep thoughts because they mirror my own so frequently!

I am glad you are enjoying your unique experience despite the homesickness. But we long for summer days at the park with you and your boys - we just started going to lunch at the park again last week and it just isn't the same without you!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

I remember having all those thoughts when I first left home. I guess I just don't think about it anymore, which is sad cause I need to tap into that part of myself more often as well. I'm glad you're here!

Dent Blog said...

Oh Debbie, seriously you're speakin' my language! Seriously, ditto to everything. And some people make you feel silly for missing "home" or what not, but you know I'll ALWAYS understand! But I do LOVE being in Texas. It's funny, because when I'm here...I miss a lot about Utah. Then when I'm there...I can't wait to get back to my home here. Hmm, now that is a deep thought. But I'm sure glad you guys are here! Now we just need to get together more often!

Stephanie said...

I understand the whole comparing life stories to the gospel. I remember once my dad told me how farmers make such straight lines in their fields; they look at something in the distance, keep their eye on it, and drive. It’s easily compared to keeping your eye single to the glory of God. I like it when life teaches you things.

Do you keep up with David. I still remember him anytime someone mentions Georgia, foreign exchanges, world travel. He was/is a good guy.

And about knowing different cultures, I just live vicariously though Samantha Brown on the travel channel. Loooove her (well, more like I wish I could be her and still have my real life…where’s those Harry Potter powers when you need them?).

Debbie and Boys said...

Hey Steph,
My dad tells the same story of plowing a field by keeping your eye on a target and head staight to it. So when the kid plowing the field finished and found his dad so upset, the boy said "I found a target, but the darn cow kept movin'."
Something to that effect.
Thanks everyone for your support, love y'all.

tonandboys said...

Now I am really excited to check back and read what happened at Book Club. I know it is hard to believe, but I feel like I can totally relate to what you are going through... in my own way. Sometimes, I feel like I live in an alternate universe. It can really stretch you and cause you to reflect in ways you never imagined... and sometimes... in ways your friends and family have still never imagined. I have to say, experiencing new situations and perspectives allows you to really see life more clearly and keeps you from getting stuck in a rut. But sometimes, stretching can be so painful, especially when it is so intense. Plus, sometimes it is hard to find the balance of growing and not losing what you love about yourself and your past.

Leslie said...

This is a great post Debbie. I really felt your delight and amazement at the new situations you are finding yourself in. Glad that you joined us here in the South. It wouldn't be the same without your big smile~! Can't wait to hear what book group prompts you to post!

The Teeples Times said...

I love reading your "ramblings" because they often reflect my very own thoughts, except mine aren't that organized. With turning 30 this year I have really began to analyze my life, and purpose, what I've accomplished, what I want to accomplish, etc.

Like you, moving from family is hard, but very insightful, fun, and challenging. Just the other day when I was in Utah visiting, I had the weirdest feeling of "it's weird that some people live in one state or one city their whole life and never get to experience other cultures, people, things to see and do, etc. It was a weird deja vu feeling.
I also would agree that your church family really becomes your new family. Mine has and we had some really wonderful friends out here who celebrate birthdays, etc. in place of our families with us.
Glad my mom was able to come and visit, wish I could've come too! Call me anytime as I'd love to chat. 973-347-0565