So whats our normal...well let me explain a few occurrances of just this last week.
#1:
Wednesday night, the 21st - Ran over a 3 foot snake, probably a Western Cotton Mouth. It was thick and big looking. I turned the car around to get a good look at it. Next morning, I took the boys to go see it after dropping Jabren off, then had to take him to see it after school. By then it was just smashed...maybe I'm morbid for checking it out so much but it was huge. For all the near hits with animals I've had since moving here I knew it was inevitable.

For info on it check out: http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm
#2:
Friday night, the 23rd- Went to the Houston Miller outdoor theatre - that offers free productions. Our Relief Society went to watch The Golden Dragon Acrobats of China. They were amazing and awesome, just wished the boys could have seen it. Absolutely incredible Here's a preview link if you want to see something amazing-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl8f2B9sVFY&feature=player_embedded.
Thankfully we were under the amphitheatre , because it down-poured. And its was completely free to the public...Houston is a huge supporter of the Arts-love it!

Okay but thats not the only reason for this #2, theres also what we watched happen in traffic on our way there. So, the drive into Houston has tollways, and regular freeways. I went with someone who had ez-tag for the tollways. Some of my friends, who I was going to go with, got stuck in traffic on the beltway.
As we drove above their road we saw tons of cop cars and a lot going on. Next to no traffic was moving and it was seriously backed up. We knew they weren't going to make it anytime soon.

So what was going on? We later found out. An unmarked semi truck was escorted off to the side of the road by the police. By the time our friends came to the scene (1 1/2 hrs after we passed it) the cops were escorting the truck off the main freeway and my friends took the same exit. The police drove to a bunch of coached buses with drivers waiting to drive away with the contents of the truck.
This semi truck was loaded with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. The buses were there to load them up and send them back to MEXICO!!!
#3 Tuesday morning 28th - No warning except my dad had said something to me on Monday about there being heavy rainstorms coming right over us here. (He flies his airplane around, thus he keeps up on weather status'.)
I told him no rain, just a beautiful day. Well, 3 am Tuesday I awoke to extreme thunder, lightening, and rain. I lay there thinking "Well, now that its here, it'll be over soon". WRONG!!! I layed in my bed awake for almost two hours! (I usually sleep through most anything) An hour of it was intense Boom, rumble, crash, non stop lit up sky. So the other hour: down pour rain, thunder and lightening but at least it didn't feel like a war in heaven was happening over our house! I closed my eyes a lot hoping sleep would take me and it did for about 10 minutes before the little boys woke up just before 5 A.M. and thus our day began....Still rain and lightening, but it wasn't loud anymore.
Okay-here's the thing. Jake sat in traffic for 2 1/2 getting to work, cars were off in ditches. Some intersections in Houston were under 10+ feet of water. Schools closed for the day because teachers were flooded in. This was no simple desert thunderstorm. As water drained from roadways, they found fully submerged vehicles! Everywhere! There were so many lightening strikes they couldn't find where tornado's had hit on the radar even though they have strong evidence they did in area's east of Houston. Is this not crazy? This is insane! Our area was completely fine, and Jabren had school, but the news was full of vehicle recovery, passenger rescue, and homes that had had to rip out all the carpet in their homes because they had so much water. People interviewed on the news claimed the damage was far worse than anything Ike did to their area. Conclusion...at least hurricanes you get a warning time to get outta here!
Click here for a slideshow of the area flooding. http://www.click2houston.com/slideshow/news/19310359/detail.html
Thankfully, I didn't feel panicked. But it didn't even cross our minds to check the news to see if Jake should wait to go to work. It poured 10" during the night. To get perspective, thats about 4 inches away from my Idaho's yearly average-crazy.
So, I'm re-assessing what weather related activity precautions need to be made.
And finally:
#3: Swine Flu Fears:
So its in the news...usually whats in national news hasn't really come close to home for us. Well, our church leaders have been prepping us through church website info and local meetings that we should prepare for pandemics...so I'm thinking I should take more precautions. At the same time I'm thinking to myself "my kids rarely get sick with stuffy noses, colds, coughs or fevers." We'll probably be fine on this one since we haven't been to Mexico anytime recently. Then yesterday Jamesen had a good strong fever. (We haven't had one in so long I couldn't even find my thermometer) He was lethargic, and no appetite. So I'm thinking its just a fever, but "what if its not". So as I awoke in the night last night I start thinking what if its something worse, like swine flu...whats the worst case scenario...but its unlikely to be that so I told myself to chill out.
We've taken good care of him and all day today he's been fine, but as he sleeps right now I know he's not feeling good...maybe we pushed it too much today.
Then, today in Houston, the first US death to Swine flu was confirmed. A two year old boy who visited relatives in Mexico was sent back to Houston for health care.
(Not to mention, if I pulled Jabren out of school for a few days til the health scare calms down I could get fined $300-500 from the district for too many absences, already had a warning since he's missed 8 (2 for Idaho trip, 2 for family visits, and 4 for health related-my goodness, I mean really. This could carry on its own post but I'm not ready to go there....) Maybe they'd make exceptions considering our county has confirmed its first case today.
So there you have it...whats been on my mind, in my life and new world.
Please take this as just a place to unload. I'm not freakin' out or anything, so don't stress out on my behalf, please. It's just a different world, and we're adjusting and thats taking time and wanted to clue in anyone who made it to the end of this long rant on just what our life here is a bit like.
18 comments:
I hear ya', my friend...Hey, maybe it's time for one of those spontaneous dinners out (wink wink)???
Love ya',
shel-
I'm game!
You're one of the reasons I smile at being in Texas
Love back at ya Shel-
Debbie
I have yet to see a big snake in my neighborhood (knock on wood). Just the 3 tiny garter snakes our cats have brought in (but that's another story). I'm not sure what I would do if I saw a cotton mouth - dead or alive - in my neighborhood. Probably have a mild coronary!
I am so glad we made it to the Chinese acrobats. They were incredible! One of these days I will post some pictures. I hadn't heard about the immigrants in the truck. Sadly, that happens sometimes in Houston.
I'm not too worried about the Swine Flu. I'm just trying to be prepared.
I want to go to a spontaneous dinner too!!
I had a cotton mouth in my front yard once and when I discovered it, it was right between my two barefeet. That is a little freaky. At least Brent came to my rescue and killed it.
I want to go to a spontaneous dinner, but it would have to wait until I can get out of San Antonio!
DEBBIE!!! Wow, that's a lot of info. Okay seriously....they fine you if your kid misses too much school? That's crazy. What a joke. Yeah, I could carry on about that one too. I wish I had you around to have deep conversations with--I miss that. Anyway, I hope Jameson is okay. Take care.
I have been thinking of you guys since the swine flu.... but I had no idea about the floods. I hope you are okay. It is hard not to worry. Take care!!!
Wow! I can't believe you get fines like that for missing school. Sometimes, I wonder if this country no longer values freedom. Although, I know for certain, Idahoans definitely value their freedom above this great state of Utah. I am sorry you have had so much to deal with. I think it is getting this way most everywhere these days. Our little community had a major breakage in our water supply and we are all hoping the last structure doesn't give way before repairs, or we could be without culinary water for the rest of the year. Yes it is true! The government has money to save the fish and build rec centers, but no money to fix the water supply to our community.
I kept Annie home from school today...you get to do that when you're homeschooling. I want to wait to see what the weekend brings on this whole swine flu thing. It's in 30 states now. Scary!
First of all I want to say how glad that I am that you moved here to Texas. You are such a great gal. I love having you as a friend.
Second, We really have had a busy week in Houston haven't we?!?!
Third, As far as the swine flu goes...I am not concerned. The media is really hyping it up more than necessary. My husband is a Vaccine Account Manager now and specializes in FluMist...the nasal flu vaccine. I am sure some of my optimism is coming from him. He informed me that the "regular" flu kills 36,000 people in the US EVERY year. Where is the media coverage on that??? While the swine flu has the potential of becoming a pandemic...it is not likely. Sorry about the rant. I just hate seeing all of the panic involved with the swine flu. It makes me wonder if I should be panicking?? Nah!
So...when is this spontaneous dinner planned for?? HA! I guess if it is spontaneous then it isn't planned!!
I appreciate your comments Leslie. Though I did have these thoughts on swine flu going through my mind, your conclusion is what I've come to as well. Thanks for stating this.
Sorry for my ranr...apparently I am passionate about swine flu...in the middle of the night!! Love ya Debbie.
I enjoyed your passionate rant...and yes I did notice that it was in the middle of the night! So what the heck are you doing up at 6:22 in the morning? How do you survive it? Are you going on no sleep and lottsa caffeine or what?
So actually your time clock is off a bit...I was up at 1:30am and back on at 8:30 checking emails. I got 6.5 hours of sleep. Pretty good. And guess what...I am going OFF of the caffeine!! I am down to 1 can per day. Yippie.
Hasn't this last week been crazy! A little secret about me is that my whole life I have been terrified of lightning. Before living in Houston, I thought I knew what a thunderstorm was....and I've learned that I had NO CLUE! And now I think I can say that I love a summer thunderstorm (minus the flooding)! Now the snakes & rodents, thats probably going to be something I never love about Texas! And the other thing I love is the friends! So yes, I am always always up for a random GNO! Next spontaneous dinner count me in!
I'm looking forward to your post on fines from schools. That's incredible...I've never heard of that and I've been teaching for almost a decade. In our county, if a student has UN-excused absences, their parents have to go to court; they might get fined there, but those are truancy absences. Maybe there is a limit on total absences, but 8, that's a bit stingy.
Life is definitely different when you move to different states...we're no longer in Kansas, eh Dorothy? I know, dumb joke. We have an EZ pass too - things you never knew about before. We also have all sorts of crazy animals/insects. I can't even plant a garden because it keeps getting eaten by the animals...ahhhh! I've been a little worried about the swine flu too, but then try to put it all in perspective,as your friend said. Hope there are lots of things you love about your new home too!!
I hope that I never see a snake like that here in Houston because I'm deathly afraid of them. I like the weather here, Orange County was such a boring 75 degrees everyday, no storms or anything. It's much more interesting here.
Post a Comment