Sunday, April 6, 2008

BUSY BUSY BOYS!

This is our Jamesen. He is our youngest (by 4 minutes) and 2 years old. He is such a content and happy "little" guy. He has always been such an easy going little guy and a joy to us as parents. His subtleness, and yet determined personality always intrigues me. Its just his way. Although he's content, he is so very determined.
Before I had children I determined to keep my children in the kitchen to help me, and not have them do their own thing while I prepared meals. That way, being in the kitchen would become a family affair. Of course this would mean spending a lot more time in the kitchen in the earlier years but it would hopefully pay off with capable children who love to cook, right?

Well, Jamesen loves to be in the kitchen. Its the first place I go and look for him. He is always trying to make or do something. His favorite ingredients are cereal, milk, eggs, and anything in the spice cupboard. When I make dinner its a struggle to be in charge. He always states "No, I stir it, I do it!"
Nearly every week, I experience walking into my kitchen and he has all the parts to my bosch mixer out and he's ready to make cookies or shakes. Always hopefully, I find him before he gets too far. Recently, I came down stairs and found Jabren and Josh helping him. They already had butter in the bowl with the flour, eggs, sugar and vanilla just seconds from going in. Thankfully on this day I followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost to check what they were doing. I don't always and I pay the severe price in wasted food and time spent in cleaning up huge messes. (Having small children is teaching me so much about how subtle the promptings are, and that I really need to head them quickly. Also, that by following the Spirit my life truly is blessed for good.)



Just last week, I lay in bed half awake as I heard the boys in the kitchen. I could hear my microwave being opened and closed and debated on getting up. Then I heard little feet scurrying up the stairs. As they walked in the room Jabren declared "Mommy, we made you breakfast all by ourselves!" He was so proud of himself for making popcorn on his own. Two kinds, butter and kettle corn. Wow, BREAKFAST IN BED! What a treat. Now I know as moms many of us our caught between 1.) discipline or 2.) living in the moment: this day I chose the latter.


As for the pay off: Always having them help me in the kitchen is so much more work than I anticipated. They think its their territory as much as mine. How do you explain to two, two year olds that you just want to do it by yourself once in a while, Alone?


As with all things in my life. I'm going to take it on faith. Breakfast in Bed may just be the first glimpse into something good working for me here, I hope!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Debbie - I loved this post of yours! I find I get so irritated with my kids in the kitchen and your words helped me see things in a different light. I hope I can chose to 'live in the moment' more often - instead of disciplining all the time. I also loved how you spoke of the spirit's promptings to check on your kids to avoid catastrophes in the kitchen. I get those feelings all the time but had never thought of them as coming from the Holy Ghost, I simply got annoyed at whatever mischief my little ones were up to. Thank you for helping me to see it in a new light and for helping me to recognize the spirit in my life.

Wonderful post - thanks for sharing!
angie

Debbie and Boys said...

Angie- I loved your comments. I didn't really think about this blog bringing new insight into others life, just into my own. Thanks for reading my lenghty blog!

Wendy said...

deb... this makes me just so excited for when kenzie gets older. I agree that you need to allow kids to help you in the things you do! especially in the kitchen where they learn to do math, teamwork, management to list only a few!!

lov ya!

Sunny said...

Hi Debbie, I popped in on your blog after I saw it on my SIL Susanna's blog. I saw the comment you sent to purplemommy about food allergies. My 12 year old daughter has all-of-the-sudden developed certain food allergies, esp to milk. I am interested in getting more info about what you have been able to do for your kids, if you would be willing to share. We haven't done any testing yet, other than a couple of unhelpful visits to the drs office and an ultrasound that didn't show anything wrong. We've just been eliminating things from her diet and seeing how she does.

Thank you for any info you can share!

Anonymous said...

Debbie~
Tooo cute! However, you're going to have to take out a small loan to replenish all those spices! That's so funny, sorry! You'll always be glad you had your boys there to help. Sometimes I forget that my little boys want to cook, clean, and dress up too! You always help remind me of what "little boys" are all about!
Love ya~
Bonnie