Crazy crazy craziness has been our lives for about 2 months and it finally feels like the stormy sea's are calming. Finally.
But we're here. In Ohio.
I think it would be easiest to make a list of my favorite things here....its a long one. :)
This house...59 years old and all. Perfect for us..for now.
The trees on our street and in our yard-though raking might be a task.
My sun room off the dining room-cozy and cabin-esque. Perfect place for late night chats with moms, sisters and best friends-even if its over the phone. (thanks Lee'sa for the futon-thats where it is.)
Neighbors; they brought us cookies. And have two boys...yea!
The yard is big. No fence. No one else has one either. Love it. I don't feel couped up.
We have a basement. Plenty of light and storage! yea!
Our town is quaint. Very cozy and New Englandish if you ask me (never been there)
However quaint it is...theres a COSTCO AND TARGET AND OLD NAVY and plenty other things just a mile away! Outside of the quaintness. Not disturbing it.
Football games. We must be close to the high school because teenagers all walked past our house to the game. Announcers, bands, cheering and even a fireworks show at the end, all happened tonight. I like it!
Landlords...they're cute and ever so helpful. Bob and Mary first met in this house, and they're about the cutest couple ever...and she's so funny and delightful and such a fine lady. And he's about as handy as ever and retired.
The church. They've taken good care of us. Been fed two meals already and women-mostly young moms have called to check on us. More than a few times Jake has called and I cut him off with "I love our church." or "I'm so grateful for this church." or "I couldn't imagine doing what we do without the members of our church."
I know this church and religion are the most important thing to me. I can't imagine my life without its support. And with each move I appreciate it on a whole new level. I like the reminder.
The Post Office. Its sooo close. Our city post office in Texas was 30 minutes away.
Now, maybe one minute-depending on if you wait for a car when backing out of the driveway.
Produce...oh how I've missed you! Fresh peaches, tomatoes and corn. All at a roadside stand. Locally grown. Glad to have you back in my life.
Public School. I've only spent 5 minutes with her and I LOVE, Love her already. And I needed something to give. Three boys with no friends yet....makin' me a bit CRAZY!
Open windows. Need I say more.
Airport...oh so close. And no tolls to get there. :)
Only one full bath to clean. You can consider it however you want. (I maybe should mention however...no outlets in the bathroom. This should be fun!)
My living room feels good. We can have Family Home Evening night with the piano in the same room. Maybe we'll actually do it more often.
The Puerto Rican neighbor I met at the bus stop who invited me and the kids in to say hi, and to meet her pastor husband and their three cutie patootie kids. They remind me of Jake's brother and sister in law Steve and Charmenia!
Did I mention the basement. If I don't want to deal with it...down it goes.
oh, oh, oh....Huntington Beach! Its on Lake Erie...you know, one of the Great Lakes you had to memorize in grade school. Its fresh water but it feels like you're on the ocean. I'll post pictures when I get a sec! Just minutes away and the boys loved building in the sand. My mom even got in and swam with us!
Which reminds me...we can ride our bikes down to a little old fashioned ice cream parlor around the corner a ways.
All the church historical significance here in Ohio. Never occurred to me before.
A quilting store at the end of my street. Maybe I'll take a class and learn to sew after all. (My mothers' dream...)
Oh, and how can I forget, the skunk we saw on our street our first night here. And the red fox that crossed through traffic leaving our neighborhood the next morning.
Lovelies-you can't forget those.
I have four master closets...they're old...if you know what I mean. But I love them-and one is cedar lined.
My small kitchen...its so easy to keep clean, but somehow far more functional than our last one. (Easy to get way messy though, too.)
The neighborhood makes me feel like going for a run.
There's a little church just a little ways down the road. And another steeple I can see from my kitchen window.
Church bells ring in the morning.
So many people exercise up and down our street.
Long drive way for bike riding.
Jake taught Josh how to ride his bike at said church parking lot tonight! He's a natural, too!
All in all I have many things to feel at peace and have gratitude about here. I know the Lord blessed us in finding our home. I feel it as one of His tender mercies. I did not want to move. It took me 5 months to mentally accept this change. He has taken care of us here. In every way, I know God led us here. Even down to...we leaped in faith into this house never looking at this town, and seeing the house in the dark at 9:30 at night before flying back to Texas the next day. We did not know of any of what we were getting into. We had no other options. Doors kept getting "shut" in our face. We'd find a house; decide to go with it and it would already be under contract..within hours. We begged and pleaded one lady to let us contract with her on hers over someone else. Nope. And it was sooo small. Crazy to beg for house you'd never want to live in all because you can't find ANYTHING! The Realtor dropped us off at the hotel by Friday night-6 p.m. with nothing. No home. Not even a worst possible choice-except for the mildew infested one.
The story itself; finding this house is a miracle, literally. Maybe I'll get to blogging about. Huge trial of faith.
So, all in all, have faith. If you need mountains to be moved in your life. Have faith. He moves them. But a mountain's a lot to move so it can take quite a long time. So in this moment, patience has been the key to enduring all that we've been through in the last 6 months.
Gratitude is how we choose to enjoy it now.
At dinner on Sunday a new friend said all the black ladies she takes care of as a nurse, respond with "I'm Blessed" when she asks them how they're doing. Forget the "I"m fine, how are you." its, "I'm blessed...the Lords been good to me."
I think I like these ladies already.
We all struggle and all have trials. We all are trying to conquer something. But for now if you ask how I'm doing...."I'm Blessed."
14 comments:
Glad to hear you love so many things about your new home. And, thanks for the reminder about faith - sometimes it seems as though that's all I'm running on and other times I don't think I use it as much as I should.
I was just about to e mail you because I'm coming to Houston in 2 weeks :( It sounds like a little bit of heaven where you are now. I'm so excited for you and I miss you like crazy. I wish you would come back for a visit.
Pictures, please!
Your life sounds like the adventure that I sometimes long for. I love your attitude and can't wait to see pictures of your house and neighborhood. Good luck, and keep the faith!
You are missed as well as blessed. Glad to hear things are so good in Ohio!
It sounds amazing, Debbie. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear more about your adventures. And I'll send you that quote when I find it!
First, can I just say how AMAZING it was to see you walk through my parent's door! I was so excited!!! I adore you and your faith, and I am sooo jealous of all of the New Englandish things you are talking about. I'm so glad things are falling perfectly into place for you. I can't wait to see pictures (they're coming, right?).
sounds like my deb!
Glad to see the update!
Reiterating what someone said before....PICTURES PLEASE! You are almost making me want to move to Cleveland, except that I feel like many of the blessings you listed are ones that we have here! AND.....we don't have Steve and Charmenia similars....WE HAVE THE ACTUAL ONES! Now seriously, who can beat that? No one :) I am so happy for you and everyone is going to be thanking Heavenly Father that they have Debbie and Jake in their ward/town/neighborhood. Seriously, you guys are awesome! It was fun to see you again, if only for a few minutes. Good luck with everything! Love you girl!!!
Debbie, I just love you guys! You have been a blessing in my life and I love to hear you write. I can hear you talking to me as I read your post and I love it. I feel as if you're in my living room. It sounds like I need to take a trip out to Ohio to visit. What a cool place. So fun to be next to the beach too!
It has taken me a while to see you had posted. I'm so happy you are all happy and settled. We sure miss you here though. Isn't trying out new places fun? In a way, I'm a little jealous of you. You're welcome for the futon by the way ;)...glad it found a new home. I'm loving my movie couch! Do you still have the same phone number? Every once in a while we need to personally chat, right? Miss ya!!!
We are so glad you picked Avon! We love your family already!!!
It sounds absolutely Amazing! You make me want to shake up my life. I LOVE New England!! If that is what Ohio feels like, WOW! I can't wait to see picturse! It was so fun to visit at the reunion. It really gave me the boost I needed. Somehow, talking with you always does that for me. love ya, cuz
Good luck!
Missing you!!!!!! So happy to hear all your delightful blessings. So rich and full. I'm happy for you!!!
Post a Comment