If you read my last post this will make some sense, I think.
It was at book club last month that two people were discussing music as a major. They were talking about how hard a music major is, and that they never saw their room mates who were in music and that by the time they finished their degree their room mates were sick of music.
To me, it seemed their conclusion was that it wasn't worth it to major in music to just end up hating it. Although a lot of their points had validity; when they came to their conclusion I kind of spoke what came to my heart. As I spoke what came to me, I realized a lot of why I do anything that I do that is challenging or hard.
So, my conclusion...yes studying music is very challenging. I did it for a year and anyone who finishes is quite amazing in my mind. But I also understand some of the reasons why they would choose it.
Theres something amazing about letting your fingers create an emotion on a piano. Watching someone play the piano and evoke intensity and emotion is almost painful for me to watch because my it resonates with me so much that I want to play, too. I desire to play that way. It takes a lot of training It literally makes me ache with desire.
So, I told my book club friends that thought it may be very hard to get a pianio/music degree, it would be worth it to be able to have the skill to play amazing. Something so powerful.
As I said these thoughts, I realized thats why I've been willing to go through painful changes in my life (joining a cross country team in h.s., but I'm not a runner, trying out for a performance choir that 6 years before I was elliminated from,living on nothing in college to avoid debt, moving away from my family and all that feels comfortable to me.)
I really want to experience so much while I'm on earth. I don't want to be afraid to try. I want to succeed in whatever comes my way. Or at least gain greater perspective just through attempting and trying.
I told you it was deep. (Probably incoherent as well, but if you follow that...good for you.)
6 comments:
Just another reason I like you, Debbie. Life is not meant to be easy. We're not supposed to get through with minimal effort. We wouldn't be very interesting people if life was easy. And I went through two degrees in music, loving it more at the end than I did at the beginning, so your friends can't speak for all music majors :)
Being willing to accept difficulties in order to grow keeps life new.
At least you embrace it...I admire that. I, on the other hand, try to avoid change or challenge, then once I realize I can't get away, I embrace it then. Maybe I should start with the first technique, as it might make a few months of my life easier. I love hearing you think out loud. Wish we lived closer so you could give me hints to twins and life.
I'll have to agree with Kerri. I loved every minute of earning my music degree. I absolutly love what music can represent and that I help others learn to play/sing its messages. I understand your desire to work for something (I think that's why PHS was so boring for me...not much of a challenge). Life would be too standstill if there were no mountains to climb. One of my favorite quotes is "Movement without direction only creates a hole in the ground," so get out there a move :)
I love this post, because this is something I have always loved about you. You know it is not my strong suit...you know me so well. I tend to gravitate toward people who force me to step out of my comfort zone. The older I get, the more I value what new experiences teach me. When it is all said and done, we will be pretty disappointed if we spent so much time avoiding pain that we did not learn all we could in this lifetime. This post really makes me think. Thanks Debbie!
As a kid, I took music lessons to prove I could do it. As an adult, I have learned that admitting how much I have left to learn opens so many doors of opportunity to learn and grow. If you really love something, I don't think you ever "arrive".
Well said Debbie! I needed this reminder :) I miss our late-night heart to heart chats. I was REALLY missing you the other night at Devin's wedding reception, and kicking myself for not visiting you more when you were so nearby.
So Debbie, I could hear you talking as I read. I miss our conversations about anything and everthing. Do you realize that we've known eachother almost 10 years. Its our 10 year anniversary in a couple weeks. I think we met you guys a year later. Im going to have to start checking on airline tickets from Seattle to Housten!!! How about that idea.
Post a Comment