Sunday, February 8, 2009

"I Want to Be a Daddy"

Thursday afternoon I was driving through the elementary school Pick up line. When you pull up in front of Jabrens school there are 6 large cones on the curb each with a 5th grader to open the door and let your child in, then they shut the door behind them. Its a beautiful day so my windows are down.

So as I'm driving past the first four cones, heading for Jabren a couple of 5th grader boys yell into my van. . . "Hey, your son says he wants to be a daddy when he grows up!" Their voices sound as if they think this is really unusual, and even kind of cool, or awesome. I'm not for sure. Then I stop at Jabrens cone and there are not just one but like 3 big kids guiding my little kindergartener to the car.
One kid leans in to tell me the same thing. "You're boy said he wants to be a daddy when he grows up."

These three kids are all grinning like "Thats cool, never thought of that." Quickly I state "Well, that must be because he has a pretty awesome Daddy and he wants to be just like him!" It seemed he had captured the attention of all the kids that day with his ambitions.




Well, when did wanting to become a daddy become such a novel ideal? I loved that the kids actually seemed to think this was a cool thing. They really seemed surprised and enjoyed the remark instead of teasing him. I hope it made them think about putting that into their future goals along with saving the earth, becoming the next president, or being independantly wealthy!
Jabren didn't have much to say about it. Couldn't get him to tell me what they were talking about. Figures.

7 comments:

Sharlee said...

That's really sweet. Interesting that it made such an impact, eh?

Tami said...

That is such a sweet story. I miss that kid.

Stephanie said...

That's one of those stories you'll be telling your (his) grand(children). Unfortunately, the idea has become novel as we have continued to grow a society where 10 million US homes only have a mother.

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

That is so awesome! What a great missionary!

Anonymous said...

It's sad that kids as young as Jabren are teased for wanting to be a parent when they're older. I bet you wanted to jump out of the car and thump on them!~ ha!~ Jake is a good example to all your boys, I'm so happy for you and sooo proud too!
love,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah~
Now you can put Brian and Bonnie Brimhall on your blog list!~ yipee

Leslie said...

So sweet! He does have a good daddy And, (more importantly) a good mommy!! Glad to have your blog address so that I can keep up with you better. =)