Monday, October 13, 2008

We arrived!

Okay, so to quickly update all of my favorite people- we've been in Houston nearly a month. We haven't connected internet yet, and so I'm feeling severely out of touch. I'm at the library and thought I'd quickly say hello and I'm missing all of you, my friends.
We arrived 4 days after the worst hurricane hit Houston in years. Thankfully, Jake felt a pressing need to not leave the week previous as we had committed to his new employer. When we arrived the state was in as much caos as we were. We arrived 5 days before our moving truck (they gave us a 7 day window it could be there). We didn't have beds or a fridge but we did thankfully have power. Many did not for about two weeks within 15 minutes of us.
So, we went to work making our place home. Jake and I went grocery shopping. Then spent over an hour looking for ice to put in the cooler.
Why so long? Because 1. businesses were just becoming functional and at bare necessity levels 2. Everyone needed ice for their coolers, because power was still out for many.
Many more stories than this. . . but this is just a taste of what we have got ourselves into.
The the Lord has granted us many tender mercies through the challenging past month. I'll have pictures up soon.
We did go down to Galveston-where most of the devastation happened. It was so very sad. Just imagine everyone on your street has taken nearly every possession they have and dumped it to the curb. Garbage was out of control. Not to mention the tree and limb waste. It was truly sad. I'm out of time
I'll be posting again soon, but I'd love to hear from you and how everything is going.
Love you all,
Debbie

16 comments:

lemontree said...

I am sooo glad you made it there safely. I've been thinking about you for forever. Well, for at least a month anyway. I'm glad you're doing ok.

Amber said...

I too wondered how moving into the chaos was. I'm glad to here you are still kicking and that you had power. I can't wait to see pictures. Hopefully you will get your internet up and running soon!

Candice said...

Hugs to Jake for being in tune and keeping you all safe in Idaho for that extra week. The people of Houston are so blessed to get you!

crystal said...

I am so glad you updated. I miss you terribly. I am glad to hear that you guys are will and everything is good. Can't wait to hear more and talk to you soon.

Wendy said...

Yeah an update from my deb! I guess I've been more in the loopthan others, but oh well! Love you guystons and miss you!
Talk to you soon

Lori said...

I'm glad you took a bit of time to say things are okay! We miss you here and I miss our deep conversations about anything and everything. I hope you have plenty of ice now! Good luck with everything and I hope you love your new ward as much as the old, by the way, Bishop Thurgood, Brother Sundwall, and Brother Sharp got released this past Sunday, so sad. Anyway, take care and keep in touch.

Miss Riya said...

Hi there,
You don't know me. I was just searching under the key word cooking. One of the last lines in this post put a lump in my throat. It brought to mind so many images. We live 7 1/2 miles southeast of New Orleans. Our entire Parish (approx. 29,000 homes were completely destroyed.) By the grace of God most of our families (the ones who returned,) are back in real houses. It has been three years and there is still much to be done, but I am so glad that we don't have any more mountains of peoples stuff piled on the sides of the roads. My prayers are with everyone who suffered due to this last stom. The key words are faith and patience. God Bless!

Melanie said...

I'm glad things are going good. I hope everything continues to work out for you. Bethany was asking me today if Jabren could come over. We miss you guys!

PML said...

Hey, I saw your link on Susanna's. Sounds like you guys have been through a hectic move...I can't imagine! Moving is awful enough as it is. There is a girl in my ward and she looks and talks just like you. Her name is Mayleen and I don't see her name on the blog list so she must not be related... Well anyway I hope things get settled in smoothly for you and it's good to see your smiling face!!

The Teeples Times said...

Sounds sooo crazy!! I'm glad you had power and your house was safe! So sad for those people who lost so much!! I hope all is going well now. It really takes a good while to get all unpacked. Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
Hope all is well, we miss having you guys around...Maya miss Jabren a lot...Hope everything came together for you!And tell Jake we have been calling,never mind we will call you now on!!!Check our new blog: A Thompson Tale blogspot.com
Charmenia

Anonymous said...

Oh Debbie~
I'm so thankful that first month is done for you! You sound so positive and upbeat! You're truly amazing! I'll phone you soon, are you coming home for Thanksgiving?
Love to you`
bonnie

Wendy said...

You've been tagged. See my blog!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Hey Debbie, I couldn't remember if I gave you by blog address or not so just use this comment and go start saving!

Mindy said...

Debbie, I miss you! I've been thinking of you lots, especially during that hurricane. I'm so glad you went a week late!
I wanted to thank you for convincing me to try NAET treatments for my kids! They are doing extremely well! In fact, some of my brothers, sister, and Mom are all in the process of being treated too. Thank you so much!
Also, we just had our fifth baby last week on Nov. 3rd. She weighs 7 lbs. 7 oz. and we named her Hannah.
Good luck with everything! I hope things settle down there very soon!

Sherri said...

I've been thinking alot about you guys lately especially because christmas is getting closer and thoughts of candy making are rolling through my mind. We miss you guys already but know that this is where you will be happy once you get settled and finding new friends. I will have to call you soon!
-Sherri