What the heck do you do with a three day weekend when two of those days it just rains? You smoke...in the driveway. Smoke Meat that is. Well, at least we did.
We are beginning to think the rain will never end here. Its makin' me crazy!
So thankfully, Jake pulled out the good ole smoker. I ran to Costco to pick up the slabs of meat...Jake took Jamesen and Jabren to pick up some wood. We have tried a few rub recipes that were way off so we just made our own and followed our instincts on how to prepare the slabs...well who knew? We pulled it off.
They didn't finish till 7:30 which is like bedtime over here so we ran to the store and picked up s'more makin's and let the kids have dessert before dinner. Hey, like my grandpa Briggs used to say "Lets start with dessert, you never know when you're going to die."
It was sooo yummy. And I made homemade salsa for the first ever.
All in all it was a lovely day hangin' in the garage as the rain came down and we smelled all the smells that bring back thousands of memories of being at the camp in Donnelly, Idaho with all my cousins and aunts, uncles, siblings, parents, neices, nephews...future in laws...good memories that smell of wood, charcoal, meat, and rain all seem to trigger. Love when my new world can trigger memories of good times in my past.

Boys loved using hangers to roast marshmallows. I bought nutella spread for my smores and I liked it.

Jake's gettin pretty dang good with his meats. That makes us happy.
Y'all are invited to come eat with us if ya like.
8 comments:
My mouth is watering! Loved smoked meats (and nutella smores sounds fabulous)! And sweeter still are the memories made for your boys to someday have a future taste and smell bring them back to a rainy day in the driveway. :) You are a wonderful Mommy! Love you dear friend, Anna
Oh, debbie! the rain is not so bad....it rains of and on for days here! But,I really do feel your pain. I love picturing you guys in your garage with the ol' smoker. I remember you showing it to me. How fun!
I'm in!
too bad my plane just ran out of gas...
;)
We have had a few times when it rains for a month straight (like every June), and I feel myself losing it. I'm glad you found something to brighten the gloom! We usually go roller skating or bowling, but next time we need a rainy day activity, I want to try smokin'! Yum.
Yum! I'm coming over next time!
Fun! Fun! Fun! I've actually missed rain but probably would not think so kindly of it if it was all the time, non-stop! It looks like some really tastey BBQ! I love this post because it made me read several posts and let me just tell you if I had your number right now, I would call you! You are so brave thats all I have to say. I hope you get many many more opertunitties to 'love' those neighbors of yours, becasue they need you and your kindness and your smile! But hey, thats just my opinion! I love you and our long talks that some time play back in my head...Ohio doesn't know how lucky it is!!! Hope you are having a nice day!
Such fun memories! I have always admired your innate ability to go out and make some happiness. Sounds heavenly. miss you cuz...
That's what makes great memories for rainy days! Looks delicious! How is R.S. president going? Crazy, I'm sure! My boys are still talking about your boys. Maybe we need to head your way this summer?!
Post a Comment