I know he's six years old. He's known many words. But whenever I ask him to read he tells me no. So, I haven't pushed. Tonight we finished his journal (best idea for getting him to tell me what is going on at school-which he barely did through kindergarten)
Anyways, I told him he had time for one book, but tonight he had to read every word that I knew he knew and I'd help with the rest.
Opened the book and Jabren read away! I was gushing all over him! I called for daddy to come. All three of us snuggled up on his twin bed as he read to us! Big moment of excitement in our house!
We're pretty proud of him!
You know what the cool thing was
This is the book he read to us.

I vividly remember this story from when I was in first grade. I can remember reading it on the stairs at home; in my bedroom, in my class. When I see the artwork I remember how I felt about it as a kid. It totally takes me back to my mind as a child.

This is the book he chose to read tonight!
Cool how it ties my past with Jabrens big milestone!. Cool that my boy is reading! Three weeks ago a friend from church who taught first grade until this year told me don't worry about him not reading. One day it will just click! Yeah for click!
14 comments:
Reading does just CLICK! It is amazing how they can go from recognizing a few words here and there to just picking up a book and reading. Matt amazes us with what he can read and the only work I have ever done with him is to just make him do it. Hurray for Jabren! This is such a huge milestone. And a side note - I totally remember this book too. My brother's name was Dan and this was his favorite book. The bottom picture looks just like the book we had growing up.
wow cool.. it is really greatto see all the fun milestones I get to look forward to, while still enjoying kenzie;s immensely! Great job Jabren!
ps... the word verification number I need to fill out before I can post a comment is "Lurnable", isn't that funny!
Seriously, I love this!! That is awesome that he read something that brought back memories like that. I'm with you - I remember that book well.
It's happening Debbie, our kids are growing up! Its amazing and such a reward as a parent to see our children succeed! I love to see them learn. Jabren is a star...way to go bud. Tell him I said he is smart and a cutie (especially with those little freckles) Hope you are enjoying Jabren in school, I know I am.
My kids love that book! GOod for him!
Great job, Jabren, and if it had to click with any book, Danny and the Dinosaur would have to be the best. I remember reading it over and over as a kid...all those I Can Read books are just great.
I just adore it when kids make that leap. It's so so so much fun!
Way to go, Jabren! What a great book! journals about school...what a fabulous idea! you are one lucky kid! You have a fantastic mother!
Wow! Way to go Jabren! Funny coincidence, I just checked the same book out for my son Andrew last week! He didn't do quite so well with reading it to me, but he loved the story!
Debbie,
Wow, what a fun memory to make. Especially when he's reading the same book that you read as a child. You're a great mom. I enjoyed our 3 1/2 talk last night! We deserved it, it's been a year!
Love you,
Bonnie
That is awesome!! Dallin is the same way: I ask him to sing his ABC's, read a book, etc., etc. and he refuses, then I hear him do it with someone else....amazing!! Stubborn kids! I totally remember reading that book too (what a classic!) Your journal idea is fabulous - I may have to borrow that one. I feel like I play 20 questions every day after kindergarten.
Just talked to my mom and she said as kids we always wanted this book to be read. Now as she visits grandkids, they all seem to want this same book read to them. She couldn't figure out why we liked it so much as kids. For me...its the illustrations.
I'm loving how many comments you've shared refer to reading/loving this book, too!
Congrats! It is amazing that you have kids that can read! Awwww...Good job mom.
I never heard about this book.I must read it.
Domain registration india
Post a Comment